Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Last Time

Last time I saw you, you taught
me how to cut shelf paper to fit
silverware drawer of the mother
of our husbands.You worked fast,
precisely, with steady nurse's hands.

Couldn't tell you were bald under wig.
You didn't look sick, but we both knew
Fourth chemo had failed. You told me
maybe the fight wasn't to beat cancer
but to beat the need to beat cancer
You told me you were almost ready to
accept God's lessons on God's terms.









I wonder if I've seen you for the last time.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry, Victoria. I have tears in my eyes. This is a heart-breaking poem. I think we always remember these 'last times' especially strongly. Not easy to face the death of one loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pain and your tenderness toward this remarkable woman is so evident, Victoria. I'm so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so very sorry for you to lose a respectable women. I can really feel your grief and how much you adore her. Just keep in mind that despite the circumstances, she managed to fight and accept it in the end.
    locksmiths sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my. I want to be like this woman. I admire her and her attitude. What a unique and beautiful way to look at life. To beat the need to beat cancer. Wow.

    ReplyDelete