Friday, January 13, 2012

Magic Recall

This poem is a response to a prompt at Poetry Jam, a photograph of a laughing elderly Polish American farm couple in 1940 New England. Both are laughing uproariously and he seems to be hitching up his pants. The prompt was to post both picture and poem. I don't know how to repost the picture so here is the poem.

You hitch up your pants.
Is your weight loss
caused by cancer?

Tears catch in my throat
Then you laugh, sharp
as morning rooster,fresh
as first spring thunder.
The magic works again.
We stand in the fields
rain-drenched, you stripped
to the waist, glistening gold,
seventeen, strong as stallion.
me your yellow daffodil, all
sunshine and tomorrows.
I laugh with you then,
before we know the graves
at which we will both cry,
the harsh winters, thin shoes,
before I know how much more
I will love you after the storms.
Magic works. I laugh with you now.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful response to the Poetry Jam prompt, Victoria. It is always good to remember the magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet to remember those times when we were strong and full of sunshine. And up to now, to laugh despite the harsh reality. Laughter works, I agree ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. rain-drenched, you stripped
    to the waist, glistening gold,
    seventeen, strong as stallion.
    me your yellow daffodil, all
    sunshine and tomorrows.

    And... before I know how much more
    I will love you after the storms...


    Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, laughter has a magic all its own...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria- If you right click on any picture you want to save, a drop down list appears. You can either do a straightforward 'copy image' and then 'paste' it where you want, or you can 'save image as' jpeg, phg etc, to a folder of your choice.
    Email me direct if you have queries. :)

    I'm all for magic laughter, too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are writing some very strong from the heart kinds of poems these months, Victoria. Lots of ominous clouds in your life, but the magic still works for a while.

    ReplyDelete