Friday, October 8, 2010

Prompt "Place yourself in a car."

Road Trip Paradise

Well pillowed, I chew orange slice candy,
and preside over green quilt pastures,
forget the floorboard. Central hump
becomes hill from which cardboard
cabin commands view of grazing horses.
Front seat parents provide soundtrack.
Daddy whistles background. Mama sings.
Home on the Range. Oh what a Beautiful
Morning. Mares Eat Oats and Does Eat Oats.
I look up, out the window, see Arizona sky
glow with the color I just learned to call azure.
I canter my palomino mare up the hill so
she can see too as we traverse paradise.

Victoria Hendricks
October 8, 2010

6 comments:

  1. Victoria, I just love this poem of your childhood. I can see it and I can hear it. The ending is wonderful, taking your vision outside the car and cantering on your horse up the hill. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautifully written poem of reminiscence, Victoria! It makes me feel warm and happy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The images were as solid as the Arizona heat is in July, that is for sure. I loved the nostalgic feeling to this, great family memories. And it has been forever since I have had or thought about orange slice candy....great write, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. paradise is cool to pass by.
    keep chewing sweet candies.
    love the imagery.
    breath taking poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to our potluck party by linking in a poem, old one works well. Thanks!
    http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/10/poetry-potluck-seven-deadly-sins.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. On critique from my writing group, I just changed this poem to present tense and like it better this way,

    ReplyDelete