Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama Bin Ladin is Dead

Osama Bin Ladin is dead.
Our forces took him out,
The bogey man, eliminated,
The monster exterminated.
We finally killed the demon.
Osama Bin Ladin is dead.
Am I safer today?

Osama Bon Ladin is dead.
We have his body, his DNA,
the bloody history of his perfidy.
but before he was the bogey man,
he was someone's baby,attempted hero
Osama Bin Ladin is dead.
Has hate taken a blow?

Osama Bin Ladin is dead.
How much difference one life?
What if Hitler's been assasinated
before Kristallnicht, if Dr. King
had lived to give the invocation
at President Obama's innaugeration?
Is peace safer today?

Osama Bin Ladin is dead.
What child in what land today
does hate set on monster's path?
What is it mine to do?
What is it mine to say?
What do I need to know to help
respectful understanding grow?

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Victoria, for putting into words the feelings that were spinning around in my head today. I knew I could count on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are.....and now, what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a powerful poem and one with questions we are all asking. I wonder about retribution and all the forces out there with Bin Laden's beliefs. I'm glad you were able to write about this monumental time in history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria,

    Words which reflect some deep inner thoughts.
    Externally the world may be celebrating, his departure and sense that some rightousness has been done.
    However, as with the Ireland of today, there is still 'another beast of evil' emerging.

    Best wishes, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a thought-provoking poem, Victoria. Much of what you said mirrors the way I feel as I ponder the why and why not of things. I don't think I've ever celebrated someone's death, and I don't now, but I'm not sorry he's gone. The beast propogated immensely while he was among us. Tragically others stand ready to fill his evil boots.

    ReplyDelete